Sullivant Hall is a cornerstone of the Arts District at Ohio State University, and the renovation was part of a comprehensive plan to invigorate the arts on campus. The new space brings together artists, dancers, musicians, designers, arts administrators, arts theorists and multi-media artists, creating opportunities for collaboration and a new level interdisciplinary artistic energy.
The three-story Neo-Classical Revival building, originally built in 1912, was in need of a complete project renovation that included major core and shell infrastructure improvements and creating more visibility and useable spaces for the students. All teaching, research, and performance spaces support the latest technology. New features include a Cartoon Library, Museum gallery, exhibit spaces, performance and dance studios, gallery storage and administrative offices.
Floor-to-ceiling windows were added to let natural light flood into the building and open up the spaces to campus. The east and west entrances were re-graded to street level, creating a more open and accessible presence.
The Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum is the largest and most comprehensive academic research facility documenting printed cartoon art. The building will house the collection which currently comprises 300,000 original cartoons, 45,000 books, 67,000 serials (including comic books), 3,000 linear feet of manuscript materials and 2.5 million comic strip clippings and newspaper pages.