Originally built in 1906 as a power house for the Sears Roebuck & Company headquarters, Pepper converted the space into a new technical high school serving 440 students. Inspired by the building’s original use, all major existing structures of the power house remained, with spaces previously filled with boilers and coal hoppers becoming learning studios, labs and offices. Updates included base renovations, facade restoration and new heat and energy technologies that helped the facility achieve LEED Platinum certification. These new energy technologies continue the legacy of the power house, while providing long-term energy efficiency, cost savings and learning opportunities.
Homan Arthington Foundation