Northwestern University’s Technological Institute is one of the largest academic buildings in the world and yet they needed to expand the space to accommodate growing needs for two programs. Wings B and C feature the university’s integrated Molecular Structure Education and Research Center (IMSERC), an analytical lab and research laboratory, plus an additional three floors of associated space for the university’s Engineering Life Sciences program of Biomedical Engineering.
- Two, ﬁve-story additions with mechanical penthouses for the Technological Institute Building.
- Wing ﬁll and infill additions include numerous cleanrooms and interior build-outs throughout.
- Cleanroom is supported by 7,537 square feet of mechanical ﬂoor, which houses the handling systems.
- A range of cleanroom classiﬁcation levels including: ISO 5 Class 100, ISO 6 Class 1,000, ISO 7 Class 10,000, ISO 8 class 100,000, and case and return air.
- 11 wet labs over 8 ﬂoors, totaling 19,000 square feet.
- Pepper also constructed the F-G wing, which included a 2-story cleanroom to support new equipment for interdisciplinary research and the interior build-out of an additional three floors for the Earth Planetary and Science department.